Staffordshire Oatcakes Stuffed with Spinach and Cheese – Slow Food Fast Ride
As the traveling cook for the recent JOGLE 2010 Slow Food Fast Ride it was fascinating to see what the cyclist needs were at each food stop. Burning an inhuman amount of calories as they powered their way through the UK it was important that each meal was loaded with carbs.
'Amy, Hungry Cyclist and The Cheese Maker'
"Just cook loads of pasta Tom that will be great" was the usual demand as the team peeled themselves into there lycra and prepared their toxic looking power drinks each morning, but on a bike ride that was as much about local food I was sure I could do better than pasta.
Basking in the sunshine of Lands End at the end of the ride having made over a 1000 cups of tea and cooked countless meals from the back of my van I was almost as tired as the riders but mustering up enough energy to when canvass the team on what their favourite meal was, I was delighted to hear that my Staffordshire Oatcakes stuffed with spinach and local cheese were a clear winner. Packed with slow release carbs, iron and flavour this simple dish fed the cyclist for next to nothing and the recipe was totally traditional. So next time you feel a bonk coming on instead of reaching for the pasta why not try this English recipe that has been keeping the good folk of Staffs going for centuries.
- 120g fine oatmeal (can use normal oats that have been processed dry in a blender)
- 120g wholewheat or plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 x 7g sachet dried yeast
- 500ml equally mixed milk and water – warmed
- 500ml warm water or milk for final mixing
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 500g of spinach
- 250 g of local Staffordshire cheese
1 .Mix milk/water, yeast and sugar and set aside in a warm place (aired oven is ideal) for a few minutes to froth
2. Add oatmeal, flour, and salt to a bowl and mix
3.Add milk mixture and oil and whisk
4. Leave to rise in warm place for an hour (again an aired oven is ideal)
5. Lightly whisk – adding the 50 ml more warm water/milk
6. Cook as for pancakes – ladle mix into pan wiped with cooking oil and fry on high heat until top "dries", flip and cook other side
7. Once cooked, cool on a cake rack
8 .To add filling of spinach and grated cheese and roll.