St Davids Day Leek Pottage
“Now Leeks are season, for pottage full good,
And sparethh the milch cow. And purgeth the blood
These having with peason, for pottage in Lent
Though spareth both oatmeal and bread to be spent”
Thomas Tusser (1524–1580)
• 6 rashers streaky bacon, shredded.
• 2 onions, sliced.
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
• Thyme and rosemary, chopped.
• 2 pints chicken stock
• 4 baking potatoes; peeled and diced 1/2 inch thick
• 2 leeks, finely sliced.
• 1 tablespoon of flat leaf parsley, chopped.
• 30 grams butter.
• 2 tbs of oats
• 1 sprig chervil.
1. In a heavy pan gently fry the bacon until brown, and set aside.
2. In the same pan fry the onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary until golden.
3. Add the chicken stock.
4. Now add the baking potatoes.
5. Cook the contents gently until the potatoes are soft. Add the bacon and leeks to the mix and leave to cool.
6. To serve reheat until simmering then add flat leaf parsley.
7. Now stir in the diced butter to add some richness to the soup along with the oats.
8. Stir well and serve in bowls garnished with sprigs of chervil and a hunk of crusty bread.