Sopa De Caracol (Conch Soup) Honduras
- 1 lbs of fresh conch
- 3 green bananas
- 2 carrots
- 2 pounds of yucca
- 3 cloves of garlic 2 large onions – yellow or white
- 2 green peppers
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 fish or chicken stock cubes
- A small bunch of coriander
- A good knob of butter
- 1 litre of coconut milk (if you can get them fresh all the better)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
1. Melt your butter in a large pan over a low heat.
2. Roughly chop the onions, the garlic, and the green peppers and sweat in the butter for 5-10 minutes.
3.Peel and roughly chop all the other vegetables (except the bananas) and add them to the pan. Turn up the heat and fast fry them for 5 minutes.
4. Now add the stock and the chopped coriander to the mix.
5. Burst the scotch bonnet pepper between your fingers (watch it doesn’t get in your eyes) and add to the pot.
6. Add the coconut milk to the pan and leave to simmer for around15 to 20 minutes.
7. Chop the bananas into large chunks and simmer for another seven minutes or until the bananas are soft and fall off a fork.
8. Wash peel and cut the conch into small pieces and to the pot and let it simmer for five more minutes.
Lap it up!