Sancocho de Gallina, Colombia
- 6 chicken thighs (one per person)
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 10 cups of chicken stock
- 3 sweet corn cobs cut into chunks
- 2 green plantains cut into pieces
- 2 yucca roots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 8 peeled and chopped potatoes
- Finley chopped fresh coriander
- Salt, pepper and cumin to taste
1. Marinade the chicken with half the onion and tomato two hours before beginning to cook.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan at medium heat and sauté the remaining onion and tomato, together with the garlic, for 5 minutes.
3. Now add your seasoned chicken to the pan and cook until browning, mixing well with the other ingredients.
4. Now pour in your chicken stock and continue to heat. While adding the chopped plantain. Cover and cook until the chicken pieces begin to soften. About 40 minutes
5. Now add your yucca, potatoes and sweet corn and seasoning to taste.
6. Cover and continue cooking until everything is soft and the potatoes and yucca fall of a fork. (20 mins)
7. Serve streaming hot with a good pinch of fresh coriander, some chile sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime.