Patecones, (Plantain Fritters)
Made from the abundant plantains that hang in huge bunches from the plants that line the road patecones.are great as a side dish or as a healthy energy packed snack.
- 4x large plantains (you might need to venture into your local Caribbean community market to find somewhere selling them)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
1. Peel your plantains and cut them into inch long pieces
2. Heat some oil in a large frying pan. When hot add the plantain chunks and cook on all sides until golden brown. 5-10 minutes
3. Now remove all the chunks and leave to cool for a few minutes until warm to touch. Stand each plantain chunk on its end and with a heavy mug press down to flatten with the chunks into thick discs. You might need to prize them from the mug with a knife.
4. Now heat a little more oil and place e all the disks back in the pan for a further five minute, turning and seasoning with a little salt and black pepper.
5. Remove the pan and leave to cool a little on some kitchen paper and serve warm, perhaps with a little sweet chili salsa to dip into.