Papa Relleno. Colombia
Knowing only too well how much my bike weighed I resigned from the weight-lifting and joined a group of local ladies cooking delicious “Papa Relleno”. For the batter
- 1 liter of water
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. of dry cilantro
- Pinch of salt
- One chicken stock cube
- Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl and leave to sit for half an hour.
- Four large potatoes.
- 200g mince meat
- Half an onion
- Two cloves of garlic
1. Peel your spuds and boil for 20 minutes or until they slide off a fork. Leave to cool and cut into slices.
2. Sweat your onions and garlic in a little oil. Add the meat and heat gently until brown. Leave to cool.
3. Take two slices of potato, and sandwich a tablespoon of the meat mix inside.
4. Place the sandwich in the batter until completely covered. Spoon into hot oil and deep fry until golden brown.
5. Remove from oil and leave to cool on some kitchen paper. Serve warm with fresh salsa and sour cream for dipping.
This entry was posted on Thursday, September 11th, 2008 at 21:20 and is filed under Colombian Recipes, Travel Writing, World Cycling, World Food. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed or trackback from your own site. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.