Caruru. Bahia, Brazil
- 1 kilo okra
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half a cup of dende oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large knuckle of ginger
- 1 cup of cashew nuts
- 1 cup of peeled peanuts (unsalted)
- Fresh cilantro
- 250 grams of fresh shrimp peeled and washed
1. Add the garlic, ginger, cashew nuts, peanuts and cilantro to a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
2. Chop the okra into small pieces.
3. In a large pan add a little of the dende oil (red palm oil) and the onion and soften over a gentle heat.
4. Now add the contents of thee liquidizer to the pan and stir well.
5. Add the chopped okra to the pan with two cups of water. Cover and stew on a gentle heat for.
5. After 10 minutes lift the cover and add the shrimp.
6. Stir the contents of the pan well, season to taste, replace the cover and continue to cook for a further ten minutes.