Menudo. Mexican Tripe Stew
Hair of the dog, pickled onion monster munch, sex, or strong black coffee.
People the world over claim to have their answer to the mighty, mind crippling hangover and in Mexico, the land of tequila induced agony, menudo is the dish of choice for blowing away the cobwebs.
Here is a traditional Mexican menudo recipe. It takes some cooking so make sure you have a good book handy.
- 9 ltr of water
- 1 kilo of beef tripe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ground black pepper
- dried oregano
- ground red pepper
- 5 tree chile (chile arbol) peppers seeded and chopped
- 6 japones chile peppers, seeds removed
- 1 kilo of hominy (canned is fine)
- Spring onion, chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 limes quarted
4. Turn on your grill. Arrange all the chile peppers on the grill and cook until they begin to scorch. Remove from heat, slit lengthwise, and scrape away the seeds.
6. Now mix the hominy into the pot. Continue cooking for an hour. Serve with a couple of pinches of spring onion, cilantro, and few squeezes of lime juice.