There is nothing better than good food after a bike ride. For the last six years I have been cycling and eating all over the world. From grilled snakes in Cambodia to wild pigs in France. With this menu you can discover all my pedal powered adventures. Explore & Enjoy
Hair of the dog, pickled onion monster munch, sex, or strong black coffee…
People the world over claim to have their answer to the mighty, mind crippling hangover and in Mexico, the land of tequila induced agony, menudo is the dish of choice for blowing away the cobwebs. Treated to my first bowl of "the good stuff" in the bustling central market of La Paz, Menudo is a spicy tripe stew. After a night of dancing, tequila and a lucky escape from an over eager lady, old enough to be my mother, I arrived at the busy luncheria armed with a thumping head ache, a nasty case of the sweats and a pair of blood-shot peepers.
Convincing my stomach to keep down a bowl of cows stomach I was soon slurping down mouthful after mouthful of nourishing spicy stew. With the juice of a few vitamin-packed limes and a generous hand of fresh cilantro added to the mix I was ready to take on the world again and head back top bed.
Here is a traditional Mexican menudo recipe.
4 pounds of tripe
6 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon peppercorns
2 sprigs thyme
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 can of white hominy
2 jalapenos peppers, seeded and chopped
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
12 tomatillos, diced
1. Rinse tripe under cold running water and cut into 1 inch squares. Place the garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and bay leaves into a square of cheesecloth. Tie into a bundle.
2. Place the tripe in a large stock pot with 4 pints of hot water, the bundle and the salt.
3. Bring to a boil and skim away the nasty foam that might appear.
4. Reduce the heat and cook at a simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until tripe is tender.
5. Add the hominy, liquid and all and the jalapenos.
6. Cook 15 minutes longer. About 10 minutes before serving, add the cilantro, green onions, and tomatillos.
7. Remove the herb bundle
8. Garnishes with red chile sauce, oregano, chopped onions, fresh lime wedges, sliced radishes and some ore cilantro.