Jaew Bong – Lao Chile Dip
A meal in Laos would not be complete without a little spice and even the most bland handful of sticky rice can be transformed by dipping it into a tasty chili dip. Chilis are grown all over Lao and cycling through most villages they are seen drying on any surface that gets some sun. Here is a recipe for Jaew Bong which is found at most low tables and is wonderful with sticky rice.
- 10 dried red and green chilli peppers, grilled until brown and then finely chopped and pounded in a pestle and mortar
- 3 shallots, chopped finely
- 3 heads of garlic, chopped finely
- 2 slices of galangal, chopped finely
- Cooking oil
- A healthy glug of fish sauce
1. Add a good glug of oil to a heavy pan and fry all ingredients over a high heat for 4 minutes. Mixing through so as not to burn.
2. Turn heat down and continue to cook until everything starts to soften and break down.
3. Allow to cool transfer to clean sterile jar with a little more oil and keep in fridge or cool place.