Grilled Aubergine with Miso Paste and Spring Onions
This was one of the many starters that were served on our visit to Kiraku in Ealing, West London. It takes no time and very little effort but the sweetness of the miso pastes and the smoky flavors of the aubergines make for a stunningly simple flavor combination. Either try it at home or visit Kiraku for possible the best and most authentic Japanese dinning experience in the capital.
- 2 aubergines , halved lengthways (the smaller ones have a better flavour)
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine – found inmost Asian supermarkets)
- large pinch castor sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions , shredded
1. Heat your oven to 180 C or gas mark six. Score a criss-cross pattern into the flesh of the aubergines. Brush with 1 tsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay out on a baking tray covered with foil and roast for 20 minutes.
2. Whisk the miso and mirin with the sugar and the lemon juice. Spread this paste over the roasted aubergines and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Put under your grill for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve scattered with shredded spring onions.