Eating The Tour De France Stage 17: Bourg St Maurice -Le Grand Bornand. Gratin Dauphinois
Stage 17 of this years Tour de France is without question the hardest of the lot. Five huge climbs will test the riders personal endurance and the teams spirit and whoever is in the Yellow Jersey at the end of today is almost home.
As well as some jaw dropping feats of human endurance todays stage also promises some pretty stunning views too. The Northern Alps boast some of the most dramatic peaks in the range and
Another ski resort in the winter Le Grand Bornand sits in the department of the Rhone Alpes but looking south east across the snow-capped peaks the Alpes du Dauphiné stretch into the horizon and into the Dauphiné region of France.
Hearty mountain food reigns in these parts too, and in the Dauphiné they have a special way of preparing potatoes, the Gratin Dauphinois. The ingredients of a typical gratin dauphinois are thinly sliced and layered potatoes baked in cream in a buttered dish rubbed with garlic. Simple you might say, but after an hour in the oven the waxy potatoes blend with the cream to create an unctuous dish packed with calories and flavor that will leave your team doctor running for the medicine bag.
Here is a recipe so you can make it at home.
- 1kg of waxy potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 500 ml of milk
- 100 g butter
- 200g French or Swiss Gruyère cheese
- 1.5 pint of double cream
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 ºC. Slice the potatoes into thin half centimeter slices and rinse in cold water. Drain and dry in a tea towel
2 .Put the potatoes in a bowl and cover with milk and a pinch of salt.
3. Rub a fireproof dish with the smashed cloves of garlic and the butter.
4. Layer half of the soaked potatoes into the base of the gratin dish.
5. Now add half the cheese in a layer and pour in the double cream and half the milk. Sprinkle with pepper and some grated nutmeg.
6. Layer the second half of the potatoes on top and cover with the remaining cheese.
7. Pour in the last of the double cream, put the dish in the oven and cook for 1 hour or until the the top is gold crispy. Enjoy and then have a good lie down!