Eating The Tour De France Stage 16: Martigny – Bourg St Maurice. Savoy Cabbage Tagliatelle
From Switzerland, into Italy and back into France, Stage 16 is a truly international stage of the Tour and one the climbers to relish.
159km of back breaking climbs and white knuckle decents will seperate the wheat from teh chaff and whoever is wearing the Jellow Jersey at the end of the day will have half the job done. Todays stage has two huge climbs and the riders that make it to Bourg St Maurice will be tired and hungry. But what will they be eating?
Tucked away in the peaks of the Savoie department in the Rhône-Alpes, 'Bourg' is well known for its hearty mountain fare and exceptional Tomme cheeses such as Tomme de Savoie.
But the area is also famous for a vegetable that doesn't get much press, the humble Savoy Cabbage, and because todays stage goes into the mountains of Italy here is a Savoy cabbage and tagliatelle recipe.
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- 3 anchovies
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 head savoy cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 50 g of butter
- half a cup of Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 lb tagliatelle
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped
1. Put two large pots of salted water on to boil.
2. In a saucepan add a glug of olive oil, garlic cloves, chilis and the anchovies and cook stirring until garlic starts to brown.
3. Now add the shredded cabbage and stir regularly until it starts to brown and wilt.
4. Put the pasta in the boiling water. Meanwhile add the wine to the cabbage and season to taste. Allow the cabbage to simmer, stirring it regluleye while the pasta cooks.
5. When the pasta is 'al dente', add it to the pan with the cabbage and toss. Add the parmesan and stir until it melts into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley.