Duarte’s Cream of Artichoke Soup
This weeks recipe of the week comes from my travels in the USA in 2006. Enjoy!
Leaving the Bay Area and saying goodbye to San Francisco the coastal road lead me happily into the growing capital of America,.the well-drained soil and cool, fog-dusted summers of the salinas valley make perfect growing conditions the first crop was. planted in the early '20s and today Castroville, the country's only artichoke processing plant, grows 75 percent of the state's artichokes.
Although having a somewhat gassy effect on The Hungry Cyclist the Artichoke remains a favorite and with the wind behind me I rode through the rain enjoyed many artichoke treats.
Here is the famous Duarte's artichoke soup recipe. For a real treat mix this soup with the green chile soup in the recipe section.
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lbs. artichokes (3 to 4 medium, trimmed of thorns)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup single cream
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- sprig of fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
1. Bring water to a boil with oil, lemon juice, and two garlic cloves. Add the artichokes and cook 45 minutes.
2. Remove hearts and puree in food processor with some of the stock, remaining garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Slice 1/2 of the tender end of the leaves into thin strips.
4. Reheat soup with leaves, cream and thyme.