Clay Pot Catfish Recipe (Ca Kho To)
- 700g catfish filet cut to bite size chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 1 tbs well chopped fresh cilantro
- 150 ml of fish sauce
- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small chopped shallot
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- lime juice
- fresh dill
1. Rinse the fish with cold water and pat dry. In a mixing bowl combine the fish with pepper, ginger, cilantro, and fish sauce. Gently fold to mix and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Put a clay pot over medium heat (wok will do) and heat the oil. Add the garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring for about two minutes or until the shallots brown a little.
3. Raise the heat to high and then add the catfish to the pot. Quickly sear the catfish on both sides and then add the sugar and a glug of water and the green onions.
4. Reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. The liquid should be reduced to thick syrup. Add the lemon juice to taste and serve with rice and garnish with torn dill.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 at 18:23 and is filed under Fishing, Food and Drink, Mekong Recipes, Recipes, Vietnamese Recipes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed or trackback from your own site. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.