Cambodian Cucumber Salad
Grilled meat, rice and noodles. The Cambodian diet can at times get repetitive and every so often my cycling system craves some vitamins. These can easily be found in the abundance of fresh fruit but also at small salad stands found by the side of the road. Using the best of Cambodian ingredients these small salads are cool and refreshing and the perfect mid afternoon antidote.
- 4 small cucumbers, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons of good soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- one small red chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground peanuts (optional)
1. Slice cucumbers lengthwise. Sprinkle with a little salt and place on some paper towels to drain of excess liquid.
2. Now slice cucumbers again into thin strips. Place in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whiz with a fork for a few minutes.
4. Dash the sauce over the cucumbers and toss to coat. Serve with a sprinkle of peanuts.