If you find yourself cycling around America at Thanksgiving and need to provide a festive dish this simple British Classic, traditionally served with roast turkey or chicken, realy comes up trumps.
- 20 whole cloves
- A large onion peeled and halved
- Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Milk – 500 ml
- Three cups Fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g Butter
- 100ml Single cream
1. Halve your onion and stud each half with cloves so it looks a little like a hedgehog.
2. Place your clove studded onion halves in a saucepan with the milk, the bay leaf, the nutmeg and the black pepper.
3. Bring slowly to the boil; remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the bay leaf and onion.
5. Stir in the breadcrumbs, return to the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the butter and cream and serve immediately.