Panettone Bread & Butter Pudding
Pairs of socks, boxes of dates and spruce trees left discarded on our cities pavements. Every year Christmas has its casualties and once the tinsel has come down, and 12th night is behind us there are always a few forgotten relics of the festive season.
- 50g of butter, plus extra for greasing the dish.
- One Panettone
- 500ml of whole milk
- 100 ml of double cream
- 3 free-range eggs
- 50g granulated sugar
1. Grease a large pie dish with butter.
2. Cut the panettone into chunky slices. Spread each slice on one side with butter, then cut into triangles.
3. Arrange a layer of panettone, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish and repeat the layers until you have used up all of the panettone.
4. Gently warm the milk in a pan over a low heat. Don't let it boil.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.
6. Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well, then strain the custard into a bowl.
7. Pour the custard over the prepared panettone layers and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
9. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.