A Bad French Joke And A Recipe For Gougeres
- 50g butter
- 250g flour
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Large pinch of salt
- 250g grated comte (any hard cheese will do)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves plus a little pinch for decoration
- 4 large eggs
1.Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Bring butter and 250ml water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat.
2. Add flour, cayenne, and salt; stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Return to heat and stir vigorously over a low heat until mixture forms a sticky ball.
3. Transfer mixture to a blander. Add 1your cheese and thyme and blend with the blunt blade. Add 4 eggs, one at a time.
4. With two tea spoons scrape the mix onto the baking sheets in small rounds about an inch apart. Sprinkle with any remaining cheese and garnish with a few thyme leaves.
5. Bake gougères until puffed and golden brown and centers are cooked through but still moist, 20–25 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve.